Kiggelaria africana L.
Common names: wild peach, wildeperske (Afr.), umKokoko (Xhosa), uMunwe (Zulu), Monepenepe (North Sotho), Lekgatsi (South Sotho), Muphatavhafu (Venda)
- The woody fruits attract a host of seed-eating bird species.
- Flowers lure butterflies, bees and insects.
- Various caterpillar species feed on the foliage, and the beautiful Acraea horta butterfly breeds almost exclusively on the trees. The caterpillars will in their turn lure insectivorous birds.
- The essence of the wild peach tree is associated with reconnecting one to their personal power.
- The essence of this tree has also been associated with courage, confidence self-worth, clarity and balance (www.platbos.co.za).
- The wood makes a durable, good general-purpose timber.
- A pink dye can also be extracted.