Gift a White Ironwood Tree
Simply select the Gift Type, complete the form, select how many trees, and add to cart. Scroll down to learn more about the White Ironwood Tree and the gifts they give to us!
White Ironwood Tree
Vepris lanceolata (Lam.) G.Don
Common names: white ironwood (Eng.); witysterhout (Afr.); Muruvula (Tsonga); Muhondwa (Venda); umZane (Xhosa); umOzana (Zulu
Gifts of White Ironwood Tree
- According to Thomas & Grant (2004), three different species of caterpillars of the Swallowtail butterfly family feed on this tree (best known of the species is the Citrus Swallowtail butterfly, Papilio demodocus)
- Porcupines have been observed to eat the bark (ultimately ring-bark the trees, causing them to die)
- A range of bird species have been noted to love the fruit (Red-winged Starling and the Crested Barbet).
- The sweetly-scented flowers lure butterflies, bees, wasps, beetles, moths at night, and birds love to roost amongst the dense foliage.
- The fruits attract a host of fruit-eating bird species, and porcupines are said to devour the bark, but often end up severely damaging or killing trees.
- Powdered root used as a remedy for influenza.
- The essence of the tree has been associated with the opening the crown chakra (Melissa ???Platbos)
- Traditionally the powdered roots are used for influenza and colic and the leaves are burnt to dispel evil spirits.
- The leaves contain chemical compounds such as alkaloids and limonoids, and have moderate antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Extracts in various forms are used to treat respiratory infections, fever, influenza, gastric pains and rheumatism.
- Crushed leaves are applied topically to clean wounds and sores.
- The pulverised roots are said to ease menorrhagia and cardiac pains, and are also used against colic and flu.
- The leaves are also burnt as a fumigation agent and disinfectant.
- The wood is used to produce wheel spokes, handles, roof beams, ornaments and turnery.
- It is highly valued for furniture making, roof beams, tool and implement handles, flooring, vehicle bodies, mine props, toys, novelties, precision equipment, vats and general carpentry and turnery.
|About Gifting a Tree||
*Note this a virtual product in the store, we won`t be sending you a physical tree.
How it works:
After checkout and payment, you, the Sponsor, will receive confirmation of transaction from Payfast. PTP will email the gift certificate to the selected recipient – which includes GPS coordinates and species type once it has been planted.