Gift a Cape Chestnut Tree
Simply select the Gift Type, complete the form, select how many trees, and add to cart. Scroll down to learn more about the Cape Chestnut Tree and the gifts they give to us!
Calodendrum capense (L.f.) Thunb
Common names: Cape chestnut, wild chestnut (Eng.); wildekastaiing, Kaapsekastaiing (Afr.); umbaba, umsitshana (Xhosa); umbhaba, umemezi omhlophe (Zulu), molalakgwedi, mookêlêla (N.Sotho); muvhaha (Venda)
- The larvae of several butterfly species, including the orange dog (Papilio demodocus) which also uses other citrus family trees, breed on the foliage.
- Butterflies have been recorded to feed on the nectar (not birds).
- Samango and vervet monkeys, and rameron and olive pigeons, cinnamon doves and Cape parrots eat the seeds.
- The flowers are an attraction for bees, moths and butterflies, as well as the odd beetle.
- The woody fruits are eaten by monkeys, baboons, squirrels and parrots
- Several butterfly species, including the Orange Dog (Papilio demodocus), breed on the leaves.
- Mostly the bark and seeds are used.
- The bark is used as an ingredient of skin ointments and is sold at traditional medicine markets.
- The bark is used as an additive in skin ointments in order to lighten the skin.
- The seeds are used to extract a potent essential fatty acid (oil) , popular in skincare.
- Seeds used as an antioxidant as well as sun protection properties.
- The Xhosa believe that the seeds have magic properties, and Xhosa hunters have been known to tie them around their wrists when hunting to bring them skill and good luck
- The oil is also used in soap-making and has a high potential for use as lubricant and biofuel.
- Wood used for tent bows, wagon-making, yokes, planking, shovel handles, and furniture
- Seeds are crushed and boiled to obtain oil that is suitable for making soap.
- It is suitable for use in general carpentry, for furniture, implement handles, yokes, planks and building construction.
- It also makes good firewood and charcoal.
- The trees have a heavy leaf fall, so they are excellent providers of organic mulch.
|About Gifting a Tree||
*Note this a virtual product in the store, we won`t be sending you a physical tree.
How it works:
After checkout and payment, you, the Sponsor, will receive confirmation of transaction from Payfast. PTP will email the gift certificate to the selected recipient – which includes GPS coordinates and species type once it has been planted.