Gift an African Holly Tree
Simply select the Gift Type, complete the form, select how many trees, and add to cart. Scroll down to learn more about the African Holly Tree and the gifts they give to us!
Ilex mitis (L.) Radlk
Common names: African holly, Cape holly, wild holly, water tree (Eng.); waterboom, waterhout, without (Afr.); monamane (Northern Sotho); iPhuphuma (Zulu), umDuma (Xhosa); liBota (Swazi); phukgu, phukgile (Southern Sotho); mutanzwa-khamelo (Venda
- In the forests of Knysna its red fruits attract birds.
- In the Knysna forests elephants show a particular liking for the leaves.
- When the leaves are rubbed together they give a lather and used as a substitute for soap by woodcutters in the past and by the Zulus (reflected in the name iPhuphuma meaning ‘it foams out‘).
- The Venda have also used the lather for washing purposes (translated means ‘milk-pail washer‘).
- The wood has been used in the construction of wagons for buckboards and spokes, for heels of ladies shoes.
- Popular for handles and furniture.
- Used as firewood/fuel.
|About Gifting a Tree||
*Note this a virtual product in the store, we won`t be sending you a physical tree.
How it works:
After checkout and payment, you, the Sponsor, will receive confirmation of transaction from Payfast. PTP will email the gift certificate to the selected recipient – which includes GPS coordinates and species type once it has been planted.